To celebrate the launch of my new junior novel, There’s No Such Things As Humans, I’m running a creative writing competition for children.
In There’s No Such Thing As Humans, Grub is a little monster who is absolutely terrified of humans, especially the one his brother says lives under his bed. That got me thinking, what else could be hiding under the bed? A portal to another world? An ancestor’s diary? 14 socks missing their partners?
Write a story about finding something under a bed for your chance to win a book prize pack.
Email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Friday 14th May 2021. Maximum word count 1000 words. Please include your name, age, school, and email address (or parent/teacher’s email address, so I can contact you if you win) in your email.
Please read the terms and conditions for more details. If you still have questions, feel free to email me.
Terms and Conditions
- You must be aged 12 or under to enter this competition.
- Entries must be received by 5pm, Friday 14th May 2021 by email to email@example.com. Entries received after this will be disqualified.
- Entries must be under 1000 words. Entries over this length will be disqualified. Entries can be shorter – there is no minimum word count.
- Entries must include something under a bed, as outlined in the prompt above, but can include other things too, if you want – your imagination is your only limit!
- To be eligible for the book prize pack, children must be based in New Zealand. Children outside of New Zealand may enter if they wish, but won’t be eligible for the books due to postage costs.
- Entries must include the entrant’s name, email address (or parent/teacher’s email address) the entrant’s age and the entrant’s school. Children who are homeschooled or do not attend a school for any reason are still welcome to enter, please just put “homeschool” or similar in your email.
- The winner will be announced at the launch of There’s No Such Thing As Humans, 3pm 16th May 2021 at The Children’s Bookshop, Kilbirnie, Wellington.
- If there are sufficient entries, judging will be broken into age categories. If judged in one group, the age of each entrant will be taken into account when reading each story. This gives all ages an equal chance of winning.
- Entries may be sent from a parent or teacher’s email address if preferred.
- Winning Entries may be published on the Brain Bunny website. I will double check this with you first.
Grub is a little monster with a big problem – he’s absolutely terrified of humans, especially the one his brother says lives under his bed.
Grub’s mum says there’s no such thing as humans, but even so, they must never go to the edge of the forest. That’s fine by Grub, until his brother dares him. He can’t refuse a double dare, can he?
Will Grub find humans at the edge of the forest … or something even worse?
Join us for the launch
Where: The Children’s Bookshop, Shop 26 Kilbirnie Plaza, Kilbirnie, Wellington.
When: 3pm, 16th May 2021